Wednesday 4 July 2012

We Need S'mores Bars.


There are a LOT of things that we (as in the good old British folk) like to laugh at when it comes to our American chums. I get to laugh at them a bit more than average I think, given the proximity of St Andrews to my little house and therefore mt proximity to a LOT of American golfer chaps running around that teeny town being (loudly) in awe about just how cute everything is.

  (If you're American, pleaseplease don't be offended, and keep reading, I'm about to say something nice, I promise)



There is aaaaalso a LOT of things that these American chums do that we, the Brits, need to pay attention to and that is missing from our little island. I’m talking Peanut Butter M&Ms, Butterfingers, Old Bay Seasoning, PRETZEL M&Ms ...who knew, Fluffernutters, s’mores.... 



S’mores. Why on EARTH do we not have s’mores. Have you even heard of them. I’m sure I hadn’t until I was some ridiculously old age....like 22. If not I will educate you....a s’more is something cooooool American folk make when they have camp fires or light up their grill. It’s basically a sandwich made of a toasted marshmallows and bit of chocolate and 2 Graham (as in grraaaaam) crackers. Look. And look.



Good heavens we must be missing out. Next barbeque, I am hitting s’more town. The thing is though, it kind of feels, up here in the frozen wastelands, like the next barbeque won’t be for another squillion years. Plluusss there’s the ‘marshmallows not being veggie’ situation. So here comes a recipe to the rescue, it’s here to save us from our poor s’more-less lives. Aaaand is a little nod to the 4th July. Phew, we're saved. With Love and Cake.



Baked S'mores Bars.

A few notes:
  • I used Fluff, that magic 'marshmallow in a jar' stuff that I talked about here, but I know that might not be the easiest thing to find. If that's the case then why not have a go with using real proper marshmallows (if you're not veggie that is). I would go for mini ones, and I'm sure they'd be proper lovely.
  • Use whatever chocolate you like. Do correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that Hersheys is de rigueur. Here, I used milk chocolate chips but you could happily use your fav and just make sure you chop it fairly small.
  • You could make the biscuit dough in a food processor, just whizzing it all up together. I just didn't really think of that at the times so got my hands dirty the old fashioned way.
Makes about 12
You will need

1xshallow baking pan, 18x30cm, lined with greaseproof paper

170g wholemeal flour
180g plain flour
50g rolled oats
a sprinkle of salt
2 tsp baking powder
150g butter
80g soft brown sugar
6-8 tbsp milk
150g milk chocolate, in chips or finely chopped
1/2 jar Fluff, or a good handful of mini marshmallows

  • First job, as per usual....preheat your oven to 180°c.
  • Now to make the biscuit part...mix the two flours, oats,  salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
  • Rub in the butter with your finger tips so the mix has the consistence of breadcrumbs.
  • Stir through the sugar and then add the milk, starting with 6 tbsps and adding more, bit by bit, if the dough needs it to come together so it's not too wet but not too stiff.
  • Split the dough in half and press one half into an even layer in the lined baking pan.
  • Bake the biscuit layer for 12 minutes.
  • As soon as it's out of the oven, sprinkle over the chocolate and spread the Fluff over that (as best you can, it's sticky stuff), or sprinkle over your marshmallows.
  • Now for the last biscuit layer. I think the easiest thing to do is to sprinkle it all over in clumps and and press it down a bit...don't worry it won't be perfect and smooth but a bit nubbley and craggy, all the better for it I think.
  • Get everything in the oven for another 25ish minutes until goooolden brown and oooooozy in the middle.
  • If you can, eat around the camp fire....though no worries if it's sofa and woolly socks that are more appropriate.




No comments:

Post a Comment