This is just the sort of thing that makes me feel all Mama Walton...and that, for me, is a veeeeeeery good thing. Mrs Walton is HOT for starters, she is WAY too skinny to have had seven children and her hair is always perfect even when she's been picking peaches and baking cobblers all summer day long.
She alllllllways knows the right thing to say to her children when they're in a muddle and they consequently alllllways end up doing the right thing. I think maybe the government should employ her to work in prisons...a few minutes chat with Mama could reform even the darkest of characters I am sure.
Also....she cooks for 11 people three times a day, every day and there's always room and food and a freshly made bed for an unexpected guest or 2. So you see, the lady is a hero, and anything that can make you feel even a teensy bit 'Walton' is a jolly good thing in my book.
Oat and Sultana Breakfast Bake.
A few notes:
- Like I said....add anything you want to the mix really, seeds, nuts, different dried fruit, more spices. You can't mess it up really so go crazy, maybe you want honey instead of sugar, or you want to stir through so fresh apple, let me know if you come up with any genius combinations.
- If you don't have or can't get buttermilk, feel free to sub in yogurt or milk.
- I heat mine up in the morning in the microwave usually and sometimes have it as is, sometimes with a little milk or sometimes topped with nut butter and jam...more choices.
You will need
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp flax seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
a few tsp demerara sugar to top, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°c and grease or line a small cake tin (I used a 16cm round pan lined with greaseproof).
- Mix together the dry ingredients in one bowl and whisk the buttermilk, egg and vanilla together in another.
- Stir the buttermilk mix into the dry ingredients so everything is well combined.
- Press the thick mixture into your pan and sprinkle over the demerara sugar if you fancy a crunchy topping.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until it is firm and a little darker.
- Eat straight away or wrap up and save for the morning, reveling in that Walton feeling.