Tuesday 2 April 2013

Peanut Butter Banana Bread.


It has come to my attention that in my last few posts I have been ranting on like a raving luny...it's ok, I do that most days, it's just that I WANT you to visit here. Usually the people that I am a raving luny around, have no choice....my parents made me after all, they can't very put the phone down on me, sister HAS to read a blog basically dedicated to her, we're bound by genetics...and the Mr, well he must even LIKE me being a crazy because he chose me. But you chaps...well you can click away in an instant


So here is a nice and soothing and normal banana bread recipe to distract you from my crazy-pants and to remind you that there is more to my repertoire than chocolate based spreads. I already have one banana bread recipe tucked away in the archives for you, but I think it's the sort of cake that you can't have too many recipes for and this one is particularly simple and speedy.


Of course I am MEEEE so can't just give you another plain banana bread, there has to be sooomething about it to make it fun...and that thing comes in the form of peanut butter chips. But that's not too mental....just good sense.


So let's all light some scented candles, run a hot bath, take a big deep relaxing breath and cut ourselves a fat slice of good old, traditional-ish banana bread and ready ourselves for the next crazy cake craze around the corner. With Love and Cake.


Peanut Butter Banana Bread.
Adapted from a recipe in one of my most loved cookbooks; Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights by Sophie Dahl

A few notes:
  • So yeah, I'm afraid peanut butter chips are not exactly UK friendly, you can get them online and in American caaaaandy stores but they are fairly expensive. The best thing to do though, I say, is to get a friend who is half Canadian and does the transatlantic trip especially to pick up goodies for you (and see family), but do substitute chocolate chips if you can't find one of those, or just leave them out entirely.
Makes 1 large loaf
You will need

1 large (2 pound) loaf tin, greased and lined

4 x very ripe bananas
75g soft butter
200g soft brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch salt
170g wholemeal flour

  • Preheat the oven to 180°c.
  • Mash your bananas, in a big mixing bowl using a fork to as fine a paste as you can manage.
  • Now easypeasily, just throw in the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla and give everything a good beat with a wooden spoon to get it all combined.
  • Add the bicarb, salt and flour and fold in gently.
  • Pour into your prepared loaf tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour until bronze and firm.
  • Leave to cool in the tin for a good 10 minutes before turning out and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment