Tuesday 23 April 2013

The Humble Crêpe.


I've harped on and on about my love of the pancake, but I have yet to include a recipe for the humble crêpe here on my teensy little corner of Kingdom Blog.


The reason is not profound, not that they are difficult in any way, only that I don't really ever make them, because, well, if I'm going to make pancakes, I really am wanting the fat fluffy American/Scotch Pancake type ones. They are my jam.


But for some reason, I can't even remember the thought process, I got a little hankering for them....ow, no, wait, IIIIII remember now. It all started with a freshly made jar of my homemade Nutella (perfect post training fuel you see) and I was just looking for another vehicle for it. They really are a fab vehicle for anything scrummy that you want to savour, but need a sort of 'turn into a meal' justification to be able to shovel directly into your mouth


I show you them here in their most basic, most delicious form, and the way in which they graced my breakfast table (lap) this morning. But fear not...I am concocting a veryvery Nutella-ey notion that will be winging its way to you very shortly. In the meantime though, get that frying pan heating and perfect that toss, you will be needing plenty of these beauties. With Love and Cake.


Crêpes.
A Delia recipe from her Complete Cookery Course

A few notes:
  • With traditional batters, you're usually asked to let them stand, which I think is so the flour particles can soack up all the liquidyness and you get a nice juicy pancake or whatever (though I may be tttttotally making this up). Delia says that you don't have to do this with her batter however, which I guess is because it's quite eggy and therefore quite juicy anyway. I, in fact, did let it stand for a bit, just because it worked out best in terms of my schedge...but you do as you please.
  • I think the most important variable factor in terms of your success rate when it comes to pancakes, of any kind, is your frying pan. I want a heavy based one, with good quality non-stick (which NEVER goes in the dishwasher and NEVER comes into contact with metal utensils)....this one is my pride and joy.


You will need

an 18-20cm frying pan

200ml milk plus 75ml water
2 eggs
110g plain flour
pinch salt
2 tbsp butter, melted, plus a bit extra for the pan

  • First get your pan on the heat so it gets fairly hot while you get on with the batter.
  • Measure out the milk and water in a measuring jug and whisk in the eggs.
  • Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and add the salt.
  • Make a well in the centre of the flour and whisk in the milk mix.
  • Finally, whisk in the melted butter...your batter is ready. 
  • I find it easiest to pour the batter into the pan from a jug, so at this point transfer the mix to the measuring jug you already used.
  • Swirl a tiny bit of butter around your hot pan, just to get it started. 
  • Pour about 2 tbsp batter into your pan and immediately swirl it around so it covers the base of the pan.
  • Leave the batter alone on the heat for a few minutes, until you see the edges brown and curl away from the pan.
  • Time to flip, tossing is deffo my preferred method but feel free to use a turner.
  • Leave to cook for another few minutes; you want both sides golden and molted dark brown.
  • Set the pancake aside, transferring to a warm oven if you want to keep it warm, and continue to use up the rest of the batter in the same way.
  • Get going with some lemon and sugar, or stay tuned for a rather exciting crêpe based recipe coming soooon.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.neometalcans.com/products/general-line-cans/
    http://www.neometalcans.com/products/open-top-sanitary-can/
    http://www.neometalcans.com/products/ ring-lid-tagger-can /
    http://www.neometalcans.com/products/double-tight-ring-lid-can/
    http://www.neometalcans.com/products/easy-peel-easy-open/
    http://www.neometalcans.com/products/can-components/

    ReplyDelete