Wednesday 26 June 2013

Sour Cream Pound Cake.


This is my 'OMG Wimbledon is here, it must be officially summer, let's get excited' cake. This cake, strawbs and a bottle of elderflower bubbly was combined with a whole afternoon of tennis joy in celebration of the Monday kick-off. I LOVE it...the whole thing. 


However I know there are numerous mentalists out there who realllllllly are not bat and ball fans so I shall shhh for the time being and go back to the cake talk. So yes, cake. DO you know, I've never actually made a bundt cake before...ever. I'll let wikipepants explain properly but it is a pretty standard American shape of cake tin, filled with a cake dense and sturdy enough to hold it's holey shape when turned out.


Now, usually in my little corner of this blog world I try and keep the recipes ultra accessible and only really needing equipment that even the most basicest of bakers will have or that I suggest you aspire to having. So I'm sorry about this one. Not that I consider a bundt pan in ANY way a gimmicky piece of cookware...I mean, it's no Flexiado...but if you were in the market for a start up set of cake pans, I wouldn't include a bundt pan in the list.


However, I also must assume that people that read my ramblings must care about baking...it's not the genius prose that draws them in let's be honest, and I am excited about bundt pans and therefore think that some peeps out there might be too. They make a super simple and plain cake look fancy enough for Wimbledon and as long as you have a suitable recipe are not at ALL scary to use. So here cake lovers, have a suitable recipe. With Love and Cake.


Sour Cream Pound Cake.
Adapted from a recipe from The Kitchn

A few notes:
  • To make sure you don't have any disasters, first brush the inside of your cake tin with melted butter, then throw some flour in there and roll it around so that the layer of butter is coated in a layer of flour. This seemed to work fine for me, and it's a sturdy cake, so don't fret.


Makes 1 laaaaarge cake
You will need 

1 x 10" bundt or angel food cake pan, greased and floured (see notes)

385g plain flour
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch salt
225g butter, at room temperature
450g caster sugar
6 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
240ml sour cream

  • Preheat your oven to 160°c.
  • Weigh out the flour, bicarb and salt together and a bowl and set aside.
  • In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar as best you can, though don't worry if it stays quite granular, there is a fair amount of sugar here.
  • Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
  • Add the sour cream and then sift over the dry ingredients you weighed out.
  • Using a metal spoon fold everything together gently until it is well combined.
  • Pour the mixture into your cake tin and give it a tap on the kitchen surface to allow any air bubbles to rise to the surface and escape.
  • Bake in the centre of your oven for 1 hour, checking whether it's cooked by inserting a skewer or knife....if it comes out clean, you're done, if there's a bit of uncooked mixture on it, give it another 5 minutes.
  • Let the cake cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out.
  • Leave to cool completely on a wire wrack before slicing and getting the strawbs and Pimms involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment